The Hudson Health Department has a robust food protection program.  We enforce enforce the Massachusetts Food Code, which includes the Chapter X of the State Sanitary Code and the 1999 Federal Food Code.  Locally, we have enacted a Grease Interceptor Regulation for food establishments.  We are the designated regulatory authority for all retail food establishments (selling/offering food directly to consumers).  Wholesale food operations are regulated by the MA Department of Public Health.

To file a complaint against a food establishment in Hudson, please complete this form.

Opening a New Food Establishment
If you wish to open a retail food establishment in Hudson, please contact our office.  Many of the documents and information that we need to conduct a plan review for your proposed food establishment are listed in this Plan Review Worksheet.  Applicants will also need to complete a Food Establishment Permit Application.  The annual permit fee is calculated based on the size of your operation.

Home-based Food Operations
Massachusetts allows its residents to operate home-based businesses to produce low-risk foods, such as cakes, cookies, breads, and confectioneries.  Please refer to this brochure for more information.

Temporary Food Operations
If you wish to operate a temporary food establishment for an event, please contact the event organizer.  Event organizer must contact us at least 30 days prior to the event to discuss the review and approval process for selling/offering food at the event.  These documents will help you better plan for the event:

Training for Operators and Employees
Boston University developed an online training module for restaurant operators and their employees.

Most retail food establishments are required to hire a full-time Certified Food Protection Manager.  For more information on where to get trained to become one, please refer to this list.  State law also requires all Certified Food Protection Managers to be trained on Allergy Awareness.

Food Safety During Emergency Events
Food safety could sometimes be overlooked during emergency situations, such as a severe weather event.  U. S. Department of Agriculture has published a consumer guide to assist residents on this issue.

Fee Schedule